Home Sleep Studies
A sleep test done at home can be an option for certain people with sleep-related symptoms. We offer this type of sleep testing, as well as in-office sleep studies, at DeFatta ENT & Allergy. Unlike an in-office sleep study, which evaluates all aspects of sleep (breathing, oxygen levels, heart rhythm, sleep stages and efficiency, brain wave activity, etc), the home study is only appropriate to diagnose moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
When a home study can be considered:
- Suspicion for significant OSA
- To assess effectiveness of OSA intervention (ex. Oral appliance)
When a home study is not appropriate:
- Suspicion for any sleep disorder other than OSA
- Medical conditions that can compromise a home study results
- Pulmonary disease
- Neuromuscular disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Central sleep apnea (dysfunction in brain triggers for breathing)
- Limb movement disorders of sleep
- Parasomnias (sleep behaviors)
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders
Your health insurance plan may offer coverage for a particular type of study based on your symptoms. Your physician can help decide which sleep study is right for you.
Have questions or think you or your loved one needs a sleep study? Call us at (715) 828-2368 and we will be happy to assist you.